For the Media
The Wheel is Ireland's largest representative and support body for charities. Our membership encompass 1,300+ organisations, including many of Ireland's leading charities.
Our team is available to brief the media on any issues relating to charities, including:
- transparency and accountability in the nonprofit sector
- charities regulation (the Charities Act 2009 and the role of the Charities Regulatory Authority etc)
- governance, standards and voluntary codes for the sector
- volunteering and active citizenship
- fundraising and funding for charities
- the role of the community, voluntary and charitable sector in delivering services.
Contact The Wheel's press office for any media enquiries:
Tel: +353 (0)1 454 8727
Mobile: +353 (0)86 1769287
Click the section titles below to further explore The Wheel's media output.
- Claire Byrne Live, 16 Jan 2017: Ivan Cooper, Director of Public Policy was interviewed for a special investigation into AHAR, a Kerry-based animal sanctuary - watch here >>
- The Irish Times, 16 December 2016: The Wheel responds to column attacking Irish charities - read more here >>
- Sunday Times, 11 December 2016: Ivan Cooper, Director of Public Policy on Christmas Fundraising.
- Newstalk Breakfast, 9 December 2016: Ivan Cooper, Director of Public Policy for The Wheel on EU Funding Event and Christmas Fundraising - listen here >>
- Sunday Times, 23 October 2016: Ivan Cooper, The Wheel's Director of Public Policy contributed to an article on financial reporting by Charities.
- The Sun, 22 October 2016: The Wheel contributed a perspective on charities regulation and transparency in Ireland.
- The Star, 22 October 2016: article by Ivan Cooper on Charity Regulation and transparency.
- Newstalk, Breakfast, 14 October 2016: The Wheel's Director of Public Policy Ivan Cooper was interviewed about the impact of the recent controversies about the sector.
- On 27 September, The Wheel hosted a joint pre-budget press conference for a number of sector infrastructures bodies. Coverage included the following:
- RTÉ, 27 September, 2016: The Wheel featured in story about how 1 in 3 charities report drop in income after recent scandals in sector - read here
- Today FM News, 27 September 2016: Ivan Cooper, Director of Advocacy at The Wheel, interviewed on radio over regarding call for restoration of charity funding in Budget 2017 - listen here
- Irish Examiner, 27 Sept 2016: The Wheel quoted in report over 60% of people being more reluctant to give to charity - read here
- Sunday Business Post, 18 July 2016: correction printed in column of a journalist who had previously and incorrectly claimed there were 232 suicide charities in Ireland. The Wheel was acknowledged with having pointed out the correct figure (49).
- Evening Herald, Saturday, 25 June 2016: The Wheel quoted regarding the developing Console story.
- Irish Independent, Saturday, 25 June 2016: The Wheel quoted regarding the developing Console story
- RTE Primetime, Thursday, 23 June 2016: The Wheel's Director of Advocacy, Ivan Cooper, interviewed extensively as part of investigation into the charity Console
- UTV Ireland News at 10pm, 13 June 2016: Ivan Cooper was a studio guest on the 10pm news
- Newstalk, Pat Kenny Show, Wednesday, 13 June 2016: Ivan Cooper was interviewed regarding charity reform - listen here
- RTE Radio 1, Drivetime, Friday 15 June 2016: Ivan Cooper, Director of Advocacy at The Wheel was a studio guest alongside Fergus Finlay (Barnardos) & Alice Leahy - listen here